G&T Appeals Process
Parents may petition the Director of Student Services for an appeal to be reviewed by the District Gifted and Talented Committee.
To appeal, the student must meet the following criteria:
G&T Committee appeals packet due dates:
- A cumulative average of B+ or better (or equivalent) on their final report card
- A score of 130+ on a cognitive skills index
Appeal information requested:1) Each appeal packet requires a cover letter explaining and detailing the reason for the appeal, including the minimal appeal criteria scores (as detailed above).2) Parent input in the letter should also include the following information about their child:
- For the 1st appeals meeting - request packets must be received by September 27, 2019.
- For the 2nd appeals meeting - request packets must be received by October 25, 2019.
- For the 3rd appeals meeting - request packets must be received by December 20, 2019.
- All G&T Committee Appeals meetings are scheduled for 1-2 weeks after each deadline/due date.
- Demonstrates beyond the expert level of the district’s curriculum rubrics
- Possess exceptional leadership skills
- Displays a high degree of intellectual, creative, and/or artistic ability
- Excels in specific fields
3) Possible suggested artifacts:
- Outside Testing Reports - tests accepted for review are:
- Wechsler Scale-WISC, WAIS,WPPSI
- Woodcock Johnson Cognitive Test
- Stanford Binet
- Kaufman Intelligence Test
Portfolio- a sample of student writing and mathematical work, outside activities documentation, letters of recommendation from professionals outside of the district.
Please send appeals packet to the Director of Student Services, 12 High Street, Glen Ridge, New Jersey, 07028.Appeals process:The Gifted and Talented Committee, which is made up of educators representing each school building across the school district, will meet to review the information provided by parents. The information provided to the Committee will be redacted prior to the meeting, so all identifiable information is removed from the materials. The Gifted and Talented Committee will review the materials and make the determination if the appeal is granted, based on the materials provided by the parent. The results of the appeal will be communicated to parents in a letter. This process generally takes two weeks from the date of the appeal.