PRE-KINDERGARTEN PROGRAM PHILOSOPHY
The philosophy of the Glen Ridge Pre-Kindergarten is based on the understanding that the early years are crucial to subsequent educational programs. We recognize that the rate of learning and development during these years maximizes each child’s potential; therefore, the learning environment builds upon the opportunity that is inherent in the enthusiasm, openness and readiness to absorb new experiences displayed by most children during their formative years.
Our fundamental goal is to provide a planned educational environment, rich in learning experiences, so that a positive foundation for the future will be nurtured. We are dedicated to providing those learning experiences that will develop a positive self-image in every child along with the emotional, social, and intellectual skills necessary to be successful in the classroom.
Generally, the activities in this curriculum are designed:
· to teach children, recognizing that growth and development are unique to each child and that children develop skills at different rates especially in the areas of emergent literacy and mathematics;
· to motivate children to learn;
· to prepare children for academic work.
To reach our overall goals, the program has the following major objectives:
· to identify the individual needs of the child;
· to develop a positive and realistic self-image;
· to develop positive relationships with peers and adults;
· to encourage the child to express himself/herself creatively;
· to develop good listening and self-help skills;
· to develop language through listening, speaking, and dramatic play activities;
· to develop maximum physical growth through gross and fine motor activities;
· to provide experiences to stimulate and develop cognitive skills.
Daily activities are organized around the learning center approach including: art, social studies, science, blockbuilding, housekeeping, dramatic play, language arts and math readiness. We also include whole group instruction in the areas of music and large motor skills.