TITLE: ACCOUNTS PAYABLE/RECEIVABLE
- Understanding of the principles and practices of financial accounting and reporting procedures consistent with statute, code and GAAP requirements
- Knowledge of accepted business practices, laws and regulations governing school districts related to budget preparation and administration, risk management, purchasing, transportation, food services, school plant operations and facility planning, or is willing and able to study and attend training to gain this knowledge
- Minimum experience as determined by the board
- Required criminal history background check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status
- Demonstrated organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
REPORTS TO: Business Administrator / Board Secretary
To assist in the administration of the district's business operations so as to provide the maximum
services for the financial resources available, with a high degree of responsibility, discretion and
confidentiality, using independent judgment, in addition to routine work necessary for the smooth
and efficient operation of the office.
- Accounts Payable:
- Vendors - set up and maintain accurate vendor files
- Review requisitions for proper paperwork and verify accuracy of information
- Review requisitions for compliance with EOE and pay-to-play regulations
- Distributes purchase orders.
- Posts purchase orders to budgetary accounts.
- Collects, processes and audits bills.
- Follows up outstanding purchase orders.
- Prepares bill list, checks and their distribution.
- Maintains understanding of the functions and operations of the district's financial accounting computer software.
- Tracks monthly utility, fuel and health benefits and works in consultation with Business Administrator to determine encumbrance amounts and appropriate accounts to which they are charged
- Assumes responsibility for Student Activities accounts. Oversees compliance and assists the secretaries.
- Works with auditor during school district audits.
- Prepares necessary reports for the school business administrator/board secretary.
- Maintains records as per records retention schedule and prepares for disposal as required.
- Maintains tuition reimbursement records and pays accordingly.
- Verifies 1099 data and confirm recipients.
- Assists in procurement of supplies and equipment for the district in accordance with law and board policies.
- Accounts Receivable:
- Maintains invoicing ledger and mails invoices for tuition fees and other monies due to the board.
- Follows up on outstanding invoices.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned by the business administrator / board secretary.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Twelve months. Contract terms and salary to be determined by the board.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with NJ State law and the provisions of the board’s policy on evaluations.
Note: Refer to Business Administrator/Board Secretary for a more comprehensive list
N.J.S.A. 18A:4-14 Uniform system of bookkeeping for all school districts
N.J.S.A. 18A:67.1-7.5 Criminal history record; employee in regular contact with pupils; grounds for disqualification from employment; exception
N.J.S.A. 18A:12 School Ethics Act
N.J.S.A. 18A:161 Officers and employees in general
N.J.S.A. 18A:171 Removal, etc., of secretaries, assistant secretaries, school business administrators and business managers during terms of office
N.J.S.A. 18A:172 Tenure of secretaries, assistant secretaries, school business administrators, business managers and secretarial and clerical employees
N.J.S.A. 18A:1713 Assistant and acting secretaries; appointment, powers and duties
N.J.S.A. 18A:1714 Clerks in the secretary’s office
N.J.S.A. 18A:18A Public School Contract Law
N.J.S.A. 18A:19 Expenditure of Funds; Audit and Payment of Claims
N.J.S.A. 18A:22 Budget and Appropriations
N.J.S.A. 18A:33 Facilities in general
N.J.S.A. 18A:39 Transportation to and from schools
N.J.S.A. 19:60 School election
N.J.S.A. 47:1A Public access to government records
N.J.A.C. 6A:9-12.7 School business administrator
N.J.A.C. 6A:23 Finance and business services
N.J.A.C. 6A:26 Educational facilities
N.J.A.C. 6A:26-2 Long range facilities plans
N.J.A.C. 6A:26-3 Capital project review
N.J.A.C. 6A:26A District comprehensive maintenance plans
N.J.A.C. 6A:27 Student transportation
N.J.A.C. 6A:30 Evaluation of the performance of school districts
N.J.A.C. 6A:32 District operations